Many business is looking for a method to track user behavior offline. This is a great question as this is certainly a challenge for many business. One solution that can be leverage is using a mobile device.
While more people in Hong Kong is using a smartphone, no matter it is an iPhone, Android or BlackBerry, one thing in common is that they have a camera. In addition, most of them will be also connected to a data plan. Therefore, the device basically can go online anywhere. So what is this all about? Leveraging the mobile device as a tracking medium.
Not sure if anyone realise that Bit.ly recently launch the QR Code service? If not you should.
A QR Code is a matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by QR scanners, mobile phones with a camera, and smartphones. The code consists of black modules arranged in a square pattern on white background. The information encoded can be text, URL or other data.
Although it will still take some time for the market to pick up, but if you are willing to try using QR Code instead of URL, you are sure in front of the other. Here is one of the example using Google Analytics with Bit.ly QR Code.
- URL with Campaign Tag (Normally very long)
- Copy your Long URL to Bit.ly and customise it.
- Once you created that, click on the “Info Plus” link
- Then you should see the QR code on the right hand side
- Copy or Save the QR Code and print it onto your offline materials
- If there are people using the QR Code Scanner application to read then it will be capture by Google Analytics like the normal campaign tracking
Again QR Code is not very common in the Hong Kong market yet but it is an idea for business who want to try this out to see the offline effectiveness.